Sunday, September 28, 2008

Rocky Mountain High



Whenever anyone dies on my mothers side of the family the tradition is that they are cremated and their ashes are spread under a tree in the montains of Colorado. Since I have only one relative living in that part of the country, this is quite a hike for most of us.

Normally the trip goes like this:
1. Fly to Denver
2. Drive 4+ hours into the mountains
3. Sit outside with realitives, have a beer, chat and relax
4. Wake up early on third day for 2 hour horseback ride up mountain
5. Spread ashes, eat lunch, cry, laugh
6. 2 hour ride down
7. Eat, sleep, relax, relearn how to walk, tell funny/embarassing family stories, and go home a couple of days after the ride



Piece of cake, right?
Well that's what I thought, so this year I decided to switch it up. I hiked up the mountain this time. Did I mention it is eight miles each way.

Pros to hiking : Lots of time to take pictures
Cons to hiking : Alot actually, but I don't want to sound like I'm complaining (I am happy I did it)

Did I mention the picture taking?